Re: Rear calipers...rebuild or replace? (why I'm pissed-long)

This is the deal:

At one time I worked for City Foreign Auto here in Asheville. (about 3
years)  When I started, I'll admit, that I knew two things about our
cars...jack and shit.  And Jack just left town.  I did own my current Red
16v at the time however.

City Foreign Auto: (I called it 'Silly Foreign Objects')
The owner (Mr Vacation)-Money money money, screw the customers 'cause
we're the only game in town.
The manager (the owners brother)-Money money money and I'm never wrong.
The head salesman (James)-If we're making so much money, where's my
raise?  Dick heads.
The new bitch (me)-Doing my best to learn about cars in general and to
specialize in VW's.

Strangely, the owner and the manager would do nothing out of their way to
find odd parts for people.  When it came to someone asking for something
LIKE a caliper rebuild kit, they'd say, "Sorry but we can only get the
rebuilt calipers." but on a much wider variety of things.  They looked at
what they could sell to make the most profit and would rather have lost
the sale than to help someone find what they were looking for. (ie. if
the calipers were out of stock)

While there, I introduced them to the sales of performance parts for
imports.  I started accounts with Autotech, Neuspeed, Jackson Racing,
etc, and even built business relations with Denon, CFI, Ron's, ABD, and
Rapid.  I looked for those 'we can't get' parts and found them. (90%)

When I bought the caliper rebuild kits they came in a pair. (ie. front
pair)  They cost City Foreign Auto $3.??/pair.  They came with the dust
boots.  They came with Lucas grease and new carrier bolts.  $3.00 vs
$19.00 X 2??? I'd take that margin ANY day.

Please don't think that this is the fault of James.  If he had his way,
he would put only a reasonable markup on the part, as any distributor has
the right to do, and sell it.  It's the brothers all the way.  I would
have never believed that greed was a genetic trait until I met them.

See why I no longer work there?  I'm kinda supprised Potterman has no
dealings with IMC.  They are in California but for the life of me I can't
remember exactly where.

I will still be calling them tomorrow and have a few choice words with
them.  If that doesn't work,  I'll apeal to their holy side.  A .45 HOL-E
in the head.

Eric
Good, bad...I'm the guy with the gun!
http://www.geocities.com/blitzkrieg16v/