RE: Rear calipers...rebuild or replace?

The rear calipers are one of the notorious trouble-spots on 16v Sciroccos.
According to the almighty Bentley, you cannot rebuild rear calipers. I
haven't heard of any rebuild kits that are available. I do know from
experience that the e-brake mechanism in particular is NOT
rebuildable...even by remanufacturers! Apparently it works off some sort of
cam-like mechanism, and you cannot open the caliper to replace it.

I spent a lot of time on this issue and talked to various people. The
consensus seems to be that you have two options:

1) Buy new calipers. I can't remember the price, but I seem to remember that
Potterman quoted me somewhere around $150 each. Ouch. On the other hand, you
KNOW they'll work and they should last a long time.

2) Buy remanufactured calipers and find one of each with a working e-brake.
This is the route I took. I paid about $60 each for remanufactured calipers
from a typical parts store. They came with a lifetime warranty, and I
continually returned every caliper until I found one for each side that had
a working e-brake. Though the normal brake worked fine on all of them, I
went through three/four calipers on each side until I had working e-brakes.
Both my GF and I can now fully replace and bleed both rear brake calipers in
15 minutes...blindfolded, in the dark, using nothing but our eyelashes and
nostril hair! :) We realize we'll probably have to do it again someday, but
it has been over a year without messing with them, and we do still have the
lifetime warranty. Fortunately, they are truly quite easy to replace.

Whatever you choose, good luck!

Neal
'88 16v