Re: 16V vs 8V motor mount Q's

On Wed, 14 Feb 2001 09:57:24 -0800 (PST) Ron Pieper <rapieper@yahoo.com>
writes:
> 2 questions, your help appreciated, car in question is
> an '87 16V:
>
> -Is the passenger side engine mount the same as the
> tranny side?
No...

> My parts guy thinks so, according to his
> books.  ETKA says quantity 1 for the PL engine, for
> the known-different pass. side mount...leading me to
> assume that the tranny side is the same as the
> 8V...(and therefore different than the 16V pass
> side)...please confirm.
The driver's side trans mount is the same size as the pre-'79 Scirocco
passenger side engine mount.
'79 and up A1 passenger side engine mounts take a larger mount,
171 199 214F (the F is the stiffer diesel mount) for 8V and the 16V
passenger mount is 533 199 214A.
The diesel mount can also be used with the 16V's...

> -Is the passenger side mount bracket the same for 16V
> and 8V?  They sure looked different on ETKA.  Bentley
> was no help.  I hope so, because I just procured and
> 8V mount, got it stripped and sandblasted, ready for
> the new mount...but will it work?
>
> as always, TIA, .

The 16V mount is offset, where as the 8V mount has a centered bolt hole.

HTH,
Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'83 GTI "Caged Rabbit"