Rear calipers...rebuild or replace?

Getting around to redoing the entire brake
system...before I dig in, should I rebuild or replace
the rear calipers?  They do not leak.  At least one
e-brake mechanism is shot.

Is there anything repairable in there as far as the
e-brake?  What is it that causes them to go bad?
Rust?

TIA again,

=====
Ron
'87 16V (Victor, the Famous Cheap Scirocco - ausgezeichnet!  unglaublich!)
'93 Cab (Teufelhasen, soon for sale)
many, many, miles and busted knuckles on seven more past watercooleds...