pressure regulator probs?

Has anyone ever heard of the brake pressure regulator blowing out? Today ,
my wife was driving her Jetta and stopped really quick. I took it for a
short ride and every time I step on the brake, the rears lock up (drums).
I'm thinking the pressure regulator is no longer regulating, causing all
four wheels to get the same force. Is this off the wall? Anyone have this
happen to them? TIA

P.S. Because she broke her car today, she took mine to school tonight.
Hopefully it comes back in one piece and everything working... ;-)

Ryan
82 Scirocco GL
90 Jetta Carat Wolfsburg