Re: upgrading to g-grind cam

If you're looking for on the cheap upgrades, swapping out the stock JH cam
for an early Rabbit 1.6 cam (known as the N-grind cam) is well worth the
half hour it takes to do.

You can find the N grind cam in 1.6L (possibly 1.5's as well?) engines to
1980 (or possibly 1981 for 1.6L equipped Jettas.)

For me it was an ultra cheap upgrade as I have probably no less than a
half-dozen of these engines in good shape lying around.

I can't speak for any other performance cams besides the G-grind, which is
a pretty good upgrade as it doesn't affect your drivability at all (opens
up power pretty much  all across the board.)  This assumes, of course,
that your stock JH manifold is on the end of a rope holding your fishing
boat in place.

Drew (84 Wolfsburg with N grind, soon to be G)

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, JR wrote:

> What other cam options are there for the solid lifter heads besides
> the G grind? I've also got an 84 and am looking to rebuild the engine
> this summer.
>
> JR
>
> > Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 00:34:30 -0500
> > From: thescirocco@juno.com
> > Subject: Re: upgrading to g-grind cam
> > The G grind is for solid lifters and the TT268 is for hydraulic heads.
> >
> > I recently installed a G grind cam in my '83 GTI and it made a nice
> > difference.
> >
> > Peter
> > '79 Scirocco 16V project car
> > '83 GTI "Caged Rabbit"
> > '84 Scirocco, RD/FF
> > '80, '88 Scirocco rollers

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca