lots of questions

Hey List.

Finally my 2L is coming together and hopefully
should be ready to fire up for the first time this
weekend.

Now in preperation of starting it for the first time,
i'm a bit frightened. I definatly don't wanna start
it dry, but is my only option to spin the intermediate
shaft? I so don't wanna take the timing belt off and
everything to do that. My VW mechanic told me to fill the
oil filter, install it, so it won't have to pump from
the bottom of the pan. Does that make sense? Is it 100%
recommended that it's started primed?

Is there anything that i should be expecting to happen
when i start it? Anything to prepare for? I had the head
rebuilt and the rings changed on block. What's the break
in for that? go easy for 1500 Km's, change the oil after
500 kms? I heard a good way to break in the rings is to
cruise on the highway, bring it up to 4000 in 4th, let the
gas go and let the rpm's drop low and then do it again.
Once again, anyone heard this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Paul