Re: An Idea...::grin::

I too had a similar thought. . . I have an '88 16v as
well, but have always liked the idea of big power,
mid-engined rear drive cars.  The more cost effective
solution for me was instead of chopping up the
scirocco, going with a small block stroker 383 in a
Porsche 914 chassis.  Stock transaxle would not be
able to hold that kind of torque so a 930 tranny from
a turbo with factory ZF limited slip was purchased. It
needs the ring and pinion gears flopped for mid-engine
use (or you could run it upside down) which is an
extensive operation.  Anyways, the chassis is already
set up for mid-engine. . . pre-formed sheet metal
chassis reinforcements are readily available to weld
in for the rear frame section, and the conversion kits
are "bolt-on".  Mine will be done in about a year due
to financial constraints. . . chassis is almost done
and ready for paint. . . suspension/brake parts are
all ready to go.  Need to build the motor.

-'Chung