Re: drive flange/axle question

In a message dated 2/10/01 8:13:46 PM Pacific Standard Time, alext@nu2u.net
writes:

<< The problem we ran into is that the inner spline on the 90mm axles seems to
 be too short to accept the 100mm inner joints.  The joints will slide on,
 but the
 splined section on the axle is several millimeters too short to stick out
 for the
 retaining clip. >>

BTDT.

Really pisses me off that European Car Magazine keeps telling people this
swap is possible. To really do it right, you need to do the swap from the
flanges-out- all the way to the hubs....

Changing drive flanges to 90mm on the tranny is the other "clean" solution.

A third solution, if you don't want to change hubs, uses an axle made for the
100mm CVs, and changing to 90mm OUTERS. Doing this requires the use of a
spacer ring.  I made a couple sets of hard alloy ring spacers the same
diameter as the splines and about 1/8" thick.   They slip between the spring
washer and axle spline of a 100mm axle--  allowing the use of 90mm outer CVs
on the longer splines without slop. If you do this without a spacer ring, the
outer CV will rock, and eventually wear your axle splines.

I'd send you a set if you want them,  Alex.

HTH,

Danny
81 Caddy "full 100mm conversion"