Re: drive flange/axle question

>due to a recent mishap with my buddy's GTi, we are changing motors
>in it and ran into a slight problem with the CVs.  We have a 100mm tranny
>going in, and he has 90mm hubs, but I thought we could just swap the
>inner CVs and have 100mm inners and 90mm outers.
>The problem we ran into is that the inner spline on the 90mm axles seems to
>be too short to accept the 100mm inner joints.  The joints will slide on,
>but the
>splined section on the axle is several millimeters too short to stick out
>for the
>retaining clip.  We tried tapping it on, but it's just not long enough.
>
>Any suggestions, or are we just going to have to swap steering knuckles
>for the 100mms?
>
>Alex Ting

When Jim and I ran up against this exact problem when doing his 16v
convertible, we left them alone.  Yep, just left the inners jammed
on without a clip...where are they going to go?  There's not enough
play in the axle or the CV joint for them to move anywhere IMO.  He's
probably put 5,000 miles on them already like this. Might not be
the 'clean' solution, but so far, experience says it works.

(Alex, Jim is supposed to be scanning parts of that catalog for
me asap, soon as he's done, the whole package is coming your way)

==Brett

\/\/ '88 Scirocco 16v (Show), '92 Passat 16v (Winter+) | - brett@netacc.net