Re: tire and ice

  Sounds like you want to have Winter tires on the front only?

  Bad idea. It is better to have matched grip on all fours, especially
with front drivers. What will happen is taht you will be trying to stear
or pull your car in one direction and the rear will overshoot.

  Also, is it really worth changing tires like that many times in the
season? You will probably carry them in the trunk, which means loose
heavy objects shifting around ...

  I have been driving my Scirocco with Winter Michelin Arctic Alpines
all summer for the past 4 years, and the tires are not that worn out (I
store the car in the winter). Driving with winter tires in the winter
when there is no snow will not wear them significantly, will be less
hassle and you will feel safer, not having to worry about changing tires
in mid stream.

  Oh, and let the 4x4 kamikaze types be. The only safe racing winter
tires are studded tires, and even then you need lots of experience to
handle the car, so let them crash and turn over, 4x4s are quite unstable
anyways :-)

	Jean-Claude
	84 8v (in hibernation)
	96 Jetta GLS (with 4 Hakkapeliitas 1)