tire and ice

I've been thinking lately of setting my '85 Scirocco
up as the bad weather car, and the 87 16v as the
spring/summer/early fall car. By "bad weather" I mean
snow and ice. Lots of that lately and I get tired of
being harassed by kamikase 4x4 types who don't
appreciate the qualities of inertia. Evolution might
help here, enough of them are crashing lately.

The idea I had was to get an extra set of rims for the
front. These would be for when the roads are covered
with ice and snow. When it gets like this I always
pull the car up into the warehouse at my job. Nice and
warm in there, so I figure I could change wheels in
accord with the weather. Any tire reccomendations
(tall and skinny I suppose?) would be greatly
appreciated.

=====
Jorel Jackson
1987 16v & 1985 8v Sciroccos