Re: VWoA anal much?? VW is right...

Here are my observations:

Note: I am no lawyer, but I've been through a little
of this at my own company (coincidentally another huge
German firm):

-VW has a trademark...they deserve the right to keep
and protect it.
-If they don't protect it, they could lose it.  This
is  a very distinct possibility.  Therefore they are
OBLIGATED to protect it.
-Part of that protection is to ensure that only VW (or
it's affiliates, under license) use the trademark, and
use it consistently, and that those who infringe on
the trademark are promptly stopped.
-If someone was profiting from MY trademark (even if
simply by it's unauthorized use, indicating
association) I'd be pissed too.

NO company would allow or promote the use of their
trademark by anyone with whom they have no affiliation
or control!  That is absurd!  What the hell is a
trademark for?  To identify a _particular company_!  A
company's trademark is it's identity!  A company MUST
have this control, and they must exercise it.

Grassroots hypothetical:  How would Sciroccoparts Pete
feel if I started to affiliate myself with him by
using "sciroccoparts" as a means to associate myself
with him without his consent, approval, control?  This
is not so different...folks could be fooled into
thinking that I represent him or his point of view,
this could create opinions of him that cause damage to
him...etc.

Sorry guys, VW is not to blame here.

Besides, a little "get real:"
-The attorney's letter to Brock Eastman is two years
old
-Brock Eastman says his last issue was Sept. 2000

Ron
Waiting for flames