Re: $193.00 Speeding ticket. need help

On Tue, 6 Feb 2001 16:22:36 -0800  Randy Block <RandyB@E-Risk.com>
writes:
>I don't know the letter of the law, but have heard that if you are 20+,
they
>can get you for things like, reckless endangerment, exhibition of speed,
or
>others charges added to the speeding ticket. I think that is what they
lock
>you up for, not the actual speeding ticket. I guess it is up to the
>disgression(sp?) of the officer that catches you and the environment
>you are speeding in.
>We have some HP officers/police officers on this list right?
>What would your call be?

I cant speak for other states laws but in CA the majority of it is up to
the officer. this is why when you get pulled over it pays to be
respectful but not kiss-assy. Its been a few years and some of the laws
have changed (and I don't read the vehicle code book anymore. its NOT MY
JOB! HAHAHAHA!!!) so im not fully familiar with what's the hot citation
topic in the local department.

Some interesting (or not) laws that give the officer his full disgression
when stopping a vehicle for traffic violations are:
1) - Exhibition of speed.- This one is my favorite one because you can be
cited for this while sitting in a parked car doing NOTHING. This one is
fully what the officer decides. Most of the time it gets tagged onto
another ticket citation but if the cop feels like it, he/she can cite you
for it.

2) Reckless endangerment. Another fun one because if the officer
interpret's your driving as being dangerous, your history. A sudden lane
change to avoid hitting the puppy in the road??? Guilty. Speeding 1 mph
over the limit can technically nab you this citation. Often its given at
20+ over the speed limit or if your simply driving like a dick. Most of
the time if you got this on a citation, you earned it.

3) Basic speed law. This one gives you a ticket whenever an officer feels
like it if he/she is eager to give you a ticket. Its easy to fight in
court and win if this is the case, that's the good news. You basically
can be cited for doing 15 in a 30 zone. The catch is you will usually
only get cited for this if you have an accident in poor weather
conditions.

I used to know alot of other little BS laws that are still on the books
from the horse and carriage days. Stupid and outdated but they're still
on the books. I love the horn law. You can be cited for honking your horn
when its NOT an emergency. Think of the revenue that NYC could generate
on this one! LOL!!

The rule of thumb is, 20mph and over you can be arrested, car impounded
ect. This is at the officers disgression and most of the time, they will
just cite you for 15mph over the speed limit if you have been cool to
them. (This is what ive done. If your cool to me, ill make the numbers a
little less so you don't lose your insurance or get a lot of points on
your license.) This of course depends on the officer, place, traffic and
YOU. Anyhoo.....

Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi 8V       84' Scirocco 8V           88' Corvette "SS"
82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 30-   79' "Project FSP Scirocco"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco in all of San
Diego!