Re: Oil yukk in air intake

> It seems there's tons of oil coming out of the valve
> cover breather into my airbox,  gooped onto the air
> filter, coating the entire inner surface of
> everything AFTER the air filter  Yukk.
> I spent an hour cleaning crud out of everywhere.
> Any one else have this?

Yes, on an 8V once, so that's all I know about...16V's
may be similar.  My problem was blowby so bad that the
lower end needed an overhaul.  But...

It seems common that the mesh screen mounted in the
valve cover (just behind the breather tube fitting)
gets all crudded up and won't separate the oil from
the air as it passes out of the engine and into your
intake boot.  Therefore you get oil in your intake
stream, and it runs down and soaks your air filter,
and can drip on the pavement underneath.

The (hopeful) solution in that case is to remove the
VC and clean that screen (it's expanded aluminum,
IIRC)...try carb cleaner.  You may be force to install
a new VC since that screen's not the easiest thing to
clean thoroughly.  Others may have better ideas.

Beyond that, you could disconnect the breather tube
from the intake and port it to a bottle somehow.
That's not an attractive solution from any angle.

Your new power is probably from a clean air filter.

Good luck

Ron

=====
Ron
'87 16V (Victor, the Famous Cheap Scirocco - ausgezeichnet!  unglaublich!)
'93 Cab (Teufelhasen, soon for sale)
many, many, miles and busted knuckles on seven more past watercooleds...