Re: autox tires.... part deux

On Mon, 31 Dec 2001 11:47:19 -0800 "Craig Williams"
<roccolister@hotmail.com> writes:

>And that brings up my other thought which I forgot to state the first
>time...If race tires will last longer when they are shaved, why the
>heck
>don't the manufacturers make them with a shorter tread? I'm sure they
>know
>how they are being used, so why wouldn't they make them with less
>rubber on
>them already. After all, shouldn't that even save the tire
>manufacturer
>money...using less materials? That's what I really don't understand.
>Why is
>it that the tires *need* to be shaved?
>
>-- Craig

A couple reasons actually. Ther main reason is, it gived you the option
to shave to whatever depth you require. They do come pretty short to
begin with actually. 9/32? Something like that. Its not that deep
compared to regular street tires. The other reason is, racers like to use
the full depth tire as a rain tire. (Eyes widen.)
hmm.
And finally, for tires to rated DOT legal, they must have a minimum tread
depth to be sold off the shelf. Since Autox requires the tires be DOT
legal, there yaz go's and stuff.
Hmm.

Shawn Méze
86' Jetta GLi 8V     84' Scirocco 8V    88' Corvette -SS 30- 2001 SDR
Solo2 Champion
82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 54-     79' "Project FSP Scirocco"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco(s) in all of
San Diego!