RE: Shaving tires WAS: Re: tire rotation

Brutha Craig Williams wrote:
> The theory is that shaving the tire reduces the height of the tread on the
> tire, and with the tread height reduced, there is less movement of the
> rubber and less heat generated. With less heat generated the
> tires will last longer. Some even say that the tire will handle better for
the
> same reason,

Yes, that is exactly correct. It is no controversial theory, though. It is
standard procedure, a conventional wisdom that nobody disputes.

> my money conservative
> mind always tells me that you can't make a tire last longer by
> reducing the amount of rubber it has.

You certainly can when running a full-depth tire starts to get chunks ripped
out of it because of the beating that it is getting!

> But this IS only intended for true race
> tires that have a limited number of heat cycles to them,
> and NOT about street tires.

Well, I just received some advice about this offline. The explanation was
that old/worn down street or race tires are likely to be harder because
they've been heat-cycled any number of times. Thus they will deliver less
traction than a shaved set of new tires. That makes sense. Are there any
differing opinions out there?
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut