Shaving tires WAS: Re: tire rotation

I'm not an expert on the subject, and I even question the theory. Mainly
because my cheap-skate line of thought will not allow my mind to accept what
I'm hearing, which is...

Shaving tires is all about controlling the heat a tire generates. Race
rubber is highly dependant upon heat in relation to it's longevity and wear.
The theory is that shaving the tire reduces the height of the tread on the
tire, and with the tread height reduced, there is less movement of the
rubber and less heat generated. With less heat generated the tires will last
longer. Some even say that the tire will handle better for the same reason,
and that a non-shaved tire will tend to float a little more before the tire
hooks up.

Like I said, I'm not an authority on this subject, and my money conservative
mind always tells me that you can't make a tire last longer by reducing the
amount of rubber it has. But this IS only intended for true race tires that
have a limited number of heat cycles to them, and NOT about street tires.

I hope I explained that right -- Craig Williams
1981 Scirocco S 2008cc 16V (As seen in 01-2001 Sport Compact Car) 15.114 @
91 MPH
1991 Passat Wagon 2.0 16V (For Wife & Son)
2000 Saab Viggen (20 psi, Turbo charged monster)15.047 @ 94 MPH
Northern California, USA