Re: [Re: Cold Start Problems]

Ok.. Friday night I had my tech friend from Dallas call about this damn cold
start problem.
I put the phone on the battery and started the car for him. He asked if I
had spark, yes, he asked if I had fuel  OOhhh yea. he asked if I did
anothergound wire and I said I did 3.. one to the top bolt of the tranny,
one to the adjusting bolt of the distributor and one to the side of the
block (front if we stand in front of the car).
Next he said the starter sounded fine (it was new why not?) and he asked me
a ton more questions.
He and some techs from his club (vwadiction) were in a chat room for about
an hour.  Bryan came back and told me what they think it is..
It isnt the FUEL I need, God knows I have plenty of it.  I need the
pressure.  Now before most of you draw your own conclusions, just sit there
and read.
The Fuel accumulator is bad.  It holds the fuel and builds up enough
pressure, so the car will start.  If left alone it will sit there
(overnight) and loose pressure.  In the morning there isnt any pressure.
Thats why I have to keep turning the key on and off so many time and
sometimes I might even get it to start.
Since the engine assumes that everything is working right I get a raw fuel
smell because IT thinks I need just a little bit of fuel and I'll have the
pressure to do it with.
He also suggested getting a block heater as well but not the kind you drill
into the freeze plug.  He said he a magnet mouth one they are easier to take
off if I need it.
SO..  because this starving college student doesnt HAVE $250.00 or so for
this part he told me not to worry about it but I should expect the part in
the mail THIS WEEK.  How nice huh?
So I thought I would let you know what MY cold start problem was.
All ya'll have a very Happy and SAFE New Years.  Cant afford to have anymore
sciroccos let alone DRIVERS going to the big VW heaven in the sky.
-=John=-