Re: Reccomendations for Power Steering Fluid?

I'll probably get corrected about this, but I don't feel it is necessary to
go through any special "bleeding" procedure with power steering-- just a few
turns lock to lock usually purges all the leftover air in the system.  I've
never had a problem with pump cavitation after flushing the system. It's not
like a new brake master cylinder which requires  "bench bleeding".

As to what brand fluid to use, I use GM Power Steering Fluid 1#1050017. The
steering rack in my pickup is from an 85 Cabriolet, and is not one of those
that requires ATF. The local VW dealership (which also sells Buick/Olds) uses
this fluid when they service the earlier VW racks.  It is a quality product,
inexpensive, and readily available. The steering doesn't make ANY noise
unless I push it at full lock- and even then- it's the drive belt. Much as I
hate working on GM cars, (gf has Chevy and Buick) the power steering fluid is
the shit....

If you want bragging rights, Redline also makes a power steering fluid...

Danny
81 (basically) Caddy 16V

In a message dated 12/27/01 11:36:42 PM Pacific Standard Time,