Re: [NON ROC] HELP, Passat B3 brakes

At 2:38 PM -0500 12/27/01, Speed Racer wrote:
>   Need some info here. My dad is fixing the brakes on my sisters
>Passat and is having trouble with the rear. He called someone and
>they said he needed a kit to do them. Is this in any way true? Does
>it require more than just the same tools that were used for the
>front. I fear that my dad got the "kit required" story from the
>stealership that robbed my sister for $1K to fix her car the first
>(and last) time.I never had a VW with rear disk. Any advice is
>appreciated.

No, you need something to spin the pistons back in. I got a tool at
Pep Boys that does it; it's a cube with a notch on each face to fit a
3/8" socket, and different pins on each face.  You find the face that
fits the slots on the piston, and put the wrench in the opposite
face, then turn.

| Jim Jarrett,Rochester NY      '93 Passat GLX, '84 Scirocco    |
| mailto:jarrett@rpa.net         '81 Rabbit Convertible 16v     |