Re: C.V Shaft Question

This is exactly the way I change CV's also...popping that 17mm bolt out is
really easy with an 8in drift/punch...works every time.  Then I take that same
punch and set the business end behind the caliper and sneak it down towards
the end of the control arm.  Smacking the drift a few times usually knocks the
control arm / ball joint out of the spindle.  If it's not moving, I
use a _large_
flatbladed screwdriver on the back side of the spindle where it clamps to
the ball joint.  Hammering it right into the spindle ball joint clamp and then
smacking down on the control arm again with the drift usually frees it up.

Two other notes, this procedure is easier then it sounds. :)  Secondly,
sometimes the front lower sway bar produces too much upward 'spring'
and the arm won't separate from the spindle so removing the control arm sway
bar clamp helps.   This whole operation does two things...the CV joints
go in and out with NO severe angle stress (yes, I've seen them fall apart),
and removing the hefty front sway brackets I use (EM Sport) gives me
the room I need to pull the outer joint with ease.  Your milage will
obviously vary on that last bit. :)

Good luck, and do what-ever works the best for you.  There is a tech procedure
for this on http://scirocco.org also.

==Brett

\/\/ '88 Scirocco 16v (Show), '92 Passat 16v (Winter+) | - brett@netacc.net