Re: Stroker Crank

Yeah! It'll make it an interference engine! Not in the conventional
sense that the valves can hit the pistons if the timing belt breaks. In
the sense that the engine WILL NOT TURN MORE THAN 1/2 TURN BEFORE THE
PISTON HITS THE HEAD!!
Ya know, I don't want to come off as a prick here, but the pistons come
to within ~1mm of the head on a stock VW. Increasing the stroke by 3.6
mm means the piston will travel 1.8mm higher in the bore. And that means
the piston will want to put a .8mm dent in the head and that's not even
accounting for rod stretch at high engine speeds!
You don't just drop in a stroker crank. YOU HAVE TO CHANGE EITHER THE
RODS OR THE PISTONS!
Assuming the pistons have the same dish volume the compression will bump
up a point or so!
Shit! I went all over this compression ratio increase stuff 2 months ago
on the list bumping the issue back and forth with Larry Fry. It's not
that big of an increase, but I'm not going to figure out the effing
equations AGAIN!
Dan