NON ROC: vr6 passat again

Ok, i went to check out the passat again today.  I put a battery in it and
cranked it over.. engine sounds good, no  funny sounds to make me think its
dead.  Engine oil looked low, but car was on a slant, tranny dipstick reads
ok and it looks clean.  odo reads 65000, or just a little over it. Body is
very clean, NO rust at all, black leather interior with what appears to be
every option.  Incase you dont remember, its a red '93 Passat VR6 automatic
wagon, asking price is 1600 so im pretty interested.. esp if i can get it to
run.
One thing i noticed is that i did not hear any fuel pump noise... where is
the pump located in these cars?  how much does it cost to replace? do you
hear it when the key is turned on, or is it pretty much silent?  I havent
been able to check for spark yet, but if spark is ok, fuel is really the
only other thing that could cause it to not run right?
Hey Daun, how hard is the 5 speed conversion for these cars? ;)