OT - 91 2.0 16V Passat - no shift into Drive

What's your opinion - 91ish Passat GL wagon with automatic (ack) for
$800.  Dealer claims only problem is that it won't shift into Drive.  It
goes through 1st, 2nd and 3rd, but refuses to shift into Drive (4th).
Any ideas?  Could it be a simple fix?  I know VW auto trannies generally
have a tendency to break.  I might take the thing for a drive tomorrow
to see if it's worth it and see if there any nasty noises coming from
the tranny area.  If not, maybe it's a quick fix - vacuum?  Even if it
doesn't shift into Drive, it would be a good around-town car.  The
interior and exterior look to be in great shape.  The front fascia is a
bit chewed up, but other than that, it looks ok.  It has 190k miles.

I was at this dealer looking at something else and noticed he has this
Passat sitting in the back and asked him about it for the hell of it.
$800 sounds like a decent buy if it doesn't have any other major
issues.

Thanks,
Mike