Re: scirocco-L-digest V1 #1976

RE:  16V pressure plate

Um, made post her a week or so ago without response, but the new pp that
is claimed to be the 2.0 l 16V has the VW # 027 141 025R; Sachs # 3082
149 437.  Hecho en Mexico.  Has "TYP M210X" stamped on engine side.
But.....it looks identical to a mystery 16V one I have here down to the
dimensions of the spring fingers.....and its made in Germany.  Three
straps on both plates, fWIW.

RE:  Electric impact wrench data points

Bought HF analog cheap Chinese 1/2" impact wrench.  Out-of-the-box it
failed and I got to pay shipping. And not have it for the job I wanted it
for.  If you do go with the B&D or Sears, perhaps consider the extended
anvil for ease of lug nut removal.  Have used a DeWalt (same parent co.
as B&D?) and it was great.

If you don't have the $ for the nice one, an alternative is the cheapie
12V ones.  Mine works OK and works even better when I have the batty
charger hooked up.  Then when you have place and money, you can buy real
pneumatic one (I bought Chicago Pneumatic 1/2" FWIW and won't use electric
one much).  The batty one can even get delegated to significant other
use.  And its kinda neat at AutoX, IMO.

RE:  Failing batty/voltage regulator

Scott Williams, if you haven't solved your problem, check the ground at
the bumper bolts.  I use LARGE serrated steel washer with lots of
grease/antiseize to keep corrosion away.  And if you want to get fancy,
the proper place for the voltage regulator is in trunk with the batty for
correct temp compensation/voltage.  Had Chrysler drivetrain engineer
friend who did that.  You don't have to use VW part.....

-- Brian D./OH
How can you be in two places at once when you're not anywhere at all...
Firesign Theatre