Re: [TECH] Brake line (not brake hose) replacement

On Sun, 9 Dec 2001, Cheapass Ron wrote:

> b) Flaring.  A plumber's tool does *not* produce the same flare as an
> automotive flare.  Your local NAPA should have the required
> double-flaring tool. It's a two-step process.  See if there's one that
> they'll loan you.

they wont have one to loan you :( VW's use metric bubble flare which is an
odd-ass flare, the tool to do it is very pricey.

The best way to do this is take a stiff wire & trace the length of the
brake line, measure your wire.

Bubble flare line is available in foot increments up to 5 feet, then the
next length is 7 feet (i've only found this long at napa, everywhere else
i went had 5 ft and shorter.)

If you need longer than 7 feet, figure out what two shorter sizes work and
get a bubble flare coupler to butt splice two lines (autozone or anywhere
like that will tell you there is no such thing, Napa, the dealer and a VW
shop will hook you up!)

Then, take out your old line trying to keep the bends intact, then use it
as a pattern to bend your new line next to, then put the new line(s) in.

thsi really isnt that bad, i was dreading having to do it on my 81 pickup,
but it really only took an afternoon :)

take care,

Steve

p.s. as you may have guessed napa is my new favirite place for oddball
stuff, heh.