Re: [TECH] Brake line (not brake hose) replacement

> ***************************
> Finally, my question: does anyone on this list have
> experience replacing "hard" brake line? Is there a
> tool that will "flare" the ends once you cur the line
> to length?

Yes, you can bend and install them yourself.  Yes, you can cut them to
length, and flare the ends.

Now...the tricky parts...
a) kinking the lines is a definite possibility.  Once you kink it, it's
trash.  There are hand-held benders available, but still be cautious.
I have even filled the old "fill-the-line-with-sand (or
salt)-and-tape-the-ends" trick - IIRC, it worked, but that was over 20
years ago.  Be sure to blow them out well if you go that route.

c) cutting - I belive a plumbers tool will work OK for this.  Clean the
burrs from the ends before flaring.

b) Flaring.  A plumber's tool does *not* produce the same flare as an
automotive flare.  Your local NAPA should have the required
double-flaring tool. It's a two-step process.  See if there's one that
they'll loan you.

And don't forget to put the nuts on *before* flaring!

=====
Cheapass Ron
"Victor" '87 16V Scirocco
"Teufelhasen" '93 Cabby <-For sale

If it ain't foggy, TURN OFF YOUR FOG LIGHTS.