car wont run!!!!

Ok, when you turn the key switch, the fuel pump relay clicks, and a second
relay (aluminum color) clicks too, you crank the car and it starts... if the
aluminum relay doesnt click, the fuel pump does not kick on even though the
fuel pump relay clicks.  WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE!  I looked in bently
but cant figrue it out.. i think it is the load reduction relay??? but i
have no idea what it does.  Someone wanna explain it to me?  THe car is my
'81 Scirocco S.  Thanks.

Jason Arms (Essex, VT)

'87 Scirocco 16v (mein Scirocco 16v befindet sich im Winterschlaf)
'81 Scirocco S (mein Scirocco MKI S befindet sich im Winterschlaf)
'81 Scirocco S (12 pack rocco)
'80 Scirocco S (only the rear half)
'64 Sunroof Beetle (livin' a new life)
'93 Nissan Pathfinder SE V6 (winter beater..rice Rice RIIIIIICE!)
****
ICQ# 91932895
AIM Username: xscirocco16vx
My web page (work in progress!)