RE: Neuspeed Springs

     I've got the same springs with KYB's and definitely don't have that
problem. My bump stops are also at the top, but there's a boot going from the
bottom of the bump stop to the top of the strut cartridge.  I have no
difficulty pushing my car down against the springs, although I can't move it
much without actually standing on the bumper.
     How much space do you see between the top of the wheel and the wheel well?
On my car (admittedly an 8v, but Neuspeed actually has a different set of
springs called 'Sport' for the 8v and 16v) I have about 2 1/2 inches.  If the
spring is completely compressed to the bump stop and you've got almost no gap
between the tire and wheel well, I would say there's something seriously wrong
with those springs.  Even putting the 8v springs on your 16v, I would think
you'd only see another 1/2 inch or so of extra compression out of close to 3
inches possible.
     Maybe someone else can comment, but possibly the reason you can't push the
car downwards is because you've got the 8v version and it's sitting where the
spring really gets tough.  I'm pretty sure Neuspeeds are progressive.
Otherwise, the problem is the springs.  You really shouldn't have to cut the
bump stops.
     Good luck, hth.

Cheers,
Colin