Re: Quaife install help/tranny tear down.

--- Dave Ewing <rabbit16v@prodigy.net> wrote:
> You will > need > the 12 point tool for the top on the 5th gear shaft

Same as for head bolts.

>...and (I think) 8mm > 12 > point to take the case apart

I believe you're talking about the mainshaft bearing plate here.  4
bolts as described.

>... I think the only other > tools > you'll need ...is the tool to
pull the flanges,  ...tool to pull the case > apart,

I found that a deadblow hammer on the back of the mainshaft works well
to do this on a scrap tranny.  I didn't see any damage inside from
this, but if you can fabricate a puller tool, it'd be preferable.

> a tool the same size as the one you use to pull the plug from the
> tranny to
> check timing (cover with spring under it opposite the shift arm).

Big old channellocks have worked for me, with scarring only on very old
and crusty trannies.  Know where to get the right tool for this?

Don't forget the extensions to the 2-jaw puller for removing 1st and
2nd from the mainshaft!
http://w3.one.net/~rapieper/longpuller.jpg

> Honestly, though, all the technical stuff is covered in the 16v
> Bentley!!

The Bentley is, as usual. wonderful here.

> > How the hell do you get the 5th gear shift fork off that silly
> shaft? The
> tranny in question is a 16v AGB. The shaft it rides on appears to be
> threaded,

it is...

and on a sidenote, the spring loaded shaft popped out and
> won't go
> back in all the way

That's the shaft all of your forks ride on, and if you weren't already
tearing it down, you would be now!

>...I assume once I get the rest of the tranny
> apart I > can easily repair this?

Yes, just look at the pictures and it should all become clear.

>...I've removed the pop in retainer > with
> the 3 prongs, the circlip that goes underneath, and the three metal
> pins
> that drop in and hold the next circlip down in place.

That's your 5th gear slider assembly.  You'll see more of those inside.
 They ideally all come off as a unit (gear, syncro, slider, synchro,
gear etc. with all the circlips and dogs in place.

The next step
> seems to
> be to take 5th gear, and it's forks & synchro etc. off so that I can
> remove
> the rest of the housing. It seems that the 5th gear shift form is
> threaded
> onto the hollow shaft, how does this come apart!?

There is a tool for this, it's a hollow shaft with two pins sticking
out the end.  They're commonly sold with 5th gear kits; Potterman may
have one.  You may try to fab one up from a old deep wall socket and a
bench grinder, or use vise-grips lightly on the shaft itself.

Despite my references to hammers, channellocks, and butchered sockets,
tranny work is a good place to get or make proper tools.  Be sure to
follow the diff bearing install procedure to the letter.  That will
involve getting races in and out; and a dial indicator is also nice to
have (calipers at least will be required).  This is where the gas grill
is absolutely indispensible, IMO!  I've said it a dozen times, the
races just *fall* out after 5 minutes at 350*F.  No marinading.  Salt
to taste.

>...am I retarded

Doesn't *seem* so....

> did I
> miss something obvious?

Not yet, anyway!  Worry about that on reassembly!

=====
Cheapass Ron
"Victor" '87 16V Scirocco
"Teufelhasen" '93 Cabby <-For sale

If it ain't foggy, TURN OFF YOUR FOG LIGHTS.