Re: Quaife install help/tranny tear down.

Pop open the Bentley, it's all there!!  Just remember that the clip on the
gear on the main shaft isn't the same as the pic (looked everywhere for that
stupid thing and it was right in front of me--just didn't recognize it!!).
And I wouldn't yank out the shift shaft (alignment rod for the forks) until
you get the case apart so you can see how it goes back in!!  You will need
the 12 point tool for the top on the 5th gear shaft and (I think) 8mm 12
point to take the case apart (along with an amazing amount of 13mm nuts and
bolts).  Also, pay attention to what you need to do with the reverse lock
bolt (something special about that too!).  I think the only other tools
you'll need (besides a bearing puller and torch depending on how much you'll
be doing on the mainshaft--might consider checking/replacing bearings and
synchros) is the tool to pull the flanges, tool to pull the case apart, and
a tool the same size as the one you use to pull the plug from the tranny to
check timing (cover with spring under it opposite the shift arm).  The
puller tools are easily made but the 12 points have to be exactly the right
size and don't try to use an allen!!  That is all I remember from memory but
I have only taken a few apart and haven't installed a quaife (YET!!).  HTH!!
Honestly, though, all the technical stuff is covered in the 16v Bentley!!

Dave

> How the hell do you get the 5th gear shift fork off that silly shaft? The
tranny in question is a 16v AGB. The shaft it rides on appears to be
threaded, and on a sidenote, the spring loaded shaft popped out and won't go
back in all the way :) I assume once I get the rest of the tranny apart I
can easily repair this? This doesn't seem that complicated, just really more
of a black art than anything.The drive flanges are both off, and I have the
5th gear end cap sitting next to it. I've removed the pop in retainer with
the 3 prongs, the circlip that goes underneath, and the three metal pins
that drop in and hold the next circlip down in place. The next step seems to
be to take 5th gear, and it's forks & synchro etc. off so that I can remove
the rest of the housing. It seems that the 5th gear shift form is threaded
onto the hollow shaft, how does this come apart!? am I retarded and did I
miss something obvious?