Re: manufactureing new sciroccos

At 09:14 AM 12/1/01 -0800, Jerry Carter wrote:
>Holy out pouring of support batman!
>
>does anybody know how many I would bave to build to be able to call it a
>"Production vehicle"? right now I'm looking at 5 just for the Rally team,
>but if I have to make more I could probably do about 75 a year, with a
>little (ok, a LOT) of help from my friends. I would probably have to sell
>them as well. would $10,000 be a bad price to set for these cars? would
>anybody buy them? I was doing the math last night and I worked it out that
>it would cost me about $8000 per unit  if I built 75. That's the maximem I
>could make in one year assuming that I keep my existing facilities.
>
>I have to admit though, I thought it would be different. I thought I'd be
>excomunicated for trying! I did think about the tubular frame concept, but
>that usually builds a cold car. I'm thinking more along the lines of a
>semi-unibody - a tubular frame that's encased with stress bearing body
>panels. that way the tubular fram wouldn't have to be quite as extensive
>which would save on weight.
>
>Thinking about the lowering suspention thread, I'd think it would be easy to
>just drop in a re-designed suspention to drop the car and still retain the
>suspention geometry. Wondering if that's something that I should offer?
>
>Gotta love market research...
>Jerry Carter
>'81 Mk1 Scirocco
There would be legal things to look into also if you produced these for sale.
If VW doesn't want people to use the VW logo on their websites, you can
bet they would worked up if you were producing copies of one of their cars.

John C. Worden
Bucksport, Maine

'98 Dakota 4x4-
'86 Scirocco 8V-
'81 Scirocco 2.0 16V - Needs an oil pump gear
'78 Scirocco Brazil Brown Metallic,  4 speed.