Re: FW: How to clean Electrical connections (was: Wipers not returning to start)

Aireq wrote:

> I'm getting the notion that the wiring and electronics on VW's cause a lot
> of problems. What is a good method for cleaning connectors? Is there
> something you can put on them to keep them from getting dirty/oxidizing? I
> would just think to use a small wire brush, or a dremel with a wire brush
> attachment.
>
> aireq

I would avoid anything that wore away material as a 1st consideration. I
am more of the better life through chemistry way of looking at things.

There are two major types of contact cleaners on the market; zero
residue (dry) and electrolube (wet).  I like the wet kind for most apps
but it can attract dust and make a mess so beware.

The dry kind tends to dry things out besides not leaving anything behind
but take any protective coating with it so, again beware.

In any case what you want to achieve is bare metal to bare metal
contact, and an absence of Oxygen or other corrosive/reactive agents.

A good but light coating of many different things can help to seal the
exposed surfaces, dielectric grease, the wet oil type components of the
contact cleaned mentioned earlier, petroleum jelly, etc., etc. While
considering what to use keep in mind that many oil type substances will
also 'melt' of soften rubber and plastic components like wire loom
sheaths and stuff.

There is one product that i have seen and talked about for a long time
but never bought any. (I will order some as soon as I post this.) It's
called Stabilant-22.   <http://www.stabilant.com>  Said to be a kind of
synthetic mayonnaise it is said to conduct electricity i the small area
where electrons will force their way through (metal to metal contact)
but acts as a type of insulator in the surrounding area, sealing out
moisture and air and sealing in the electrons, or 'magic Smoke' if you
will.  Here is a automotive tech note:
<http://www.stabilant.com/appnt20h.htm>
btw- I think VW started using this stuff on the Westmoreland Rabbits
that where having so many problems.

In any case to get back to one of the original questions re: cleaning
the surfaces, I have found mechanical motion, i.e. rubbing the two parts
together, to be a very favorable way to get clean and shiny contacts.
Spray some contact cleaner and insert, remove, reinsert a few times and
then seal it all up.

(heh, heh. The mind begins to wander.)

Any way, besides my long ramble you should be able to glean some more
supporting info from the archives <http://www.scirocco.org>

hth, sorry I didn't compose this any.
TBerk