Re: Timing marks yet again

On Sun, 26 Aug 2001 16:05:58 -0700 "Curt Voss" <curtv@eudoramail.com>
writes:
> The timing mark question once again rears its ugly head... I don't
> recall getting a definitive answer on this before, so here it is
> again. I have a 210 mm flywheel out of an '87 GLI, at least so it
> was marked when I got it from a wrecking yard. I can only find one
> timing mark on it, a diamond shape cut into the flywheel. Is that
> TDC or the ignition timing setting? The only other thing I can see
> that could be a timing mark is a big square raised lug, but that's
> not generally a timing mark, is it? Unfortunately my Bentley only
> covers through '84 and shows nothing like this.
> ---
> '86 Scirocco 8V, soon to be sold
> '82 Scirocco 1.8 8v - the daily driver
> '81 Caddy
> '78 Rabbit 1.7L rustbucket in semi-retirement

The diamond shaped notch is the 6 deg BTDC timing mark.

Just to the right of the diamond shaped notch, on the side of the
flywheel, there is a small "o", this is TDC.

HTH,
Peter - http://thescirocco.com -Techtonics, Autotech-Quaife USA,
Magnecor, & Peloquin, Discount Dealer -  Bear, DE

'79 Scirocco 16V "Retro"
'83 GTI "Caged Rabbit"
'84.5 Scirocco "Oddball"
'84 GTI
SciRollers: '79 White Champagne Edition, '84 Black, '88 Red