Timing marks yet again

The timing mark question once again rears its ugly head... I don't recall getting a definitive answer on this before, so here it is again. I have a 210 mm flywheel out of an '87 GLI, at least so it was marked when I got it from a wrecking yard. I can only find one timing mark on it, a diamond shape cut into the flywheel. Is that TDC or the ignition timing setting? The only other thing I can see that could be a timing mark is a big square raised lug, but that's not generally a timing mark, is it? Unfortunately my Bentley only covers through '84 and shows nothing like this.
---
'86 Scirocco 8V, soon to be sold
'82 Scirocco 1.8 8v - the daily driver
'81 Caddy
'78 Rabbit 1.7L rustbucket in semi-retirement