From: thescirocco@juno.com
To: scirocco16v88@hotmail.com, scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Re: Help Please: Distributor 16V
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 18:13:21 -0400

On Sun, 26 Aug 2001 21:49:55 +0000 "Tobias M-G"
<scirocco16v88@hotmail.com> writes:

 > Didn't pay attention and removed the old one without setting to TDC.
 > Now I have the new one on and the timing is off so badly the engine
 > won't start.
 >
 > Tried setting to TDC .. only, someone painted a mark on the opposite
 > side of the large groove .. so I don't know which one is which. Tried
 > matching up the marks in the transmission opening .. no luck with that
either.

 > I have no timing light .. plus the engine doesn't even run so now
 > what? How do I get it close to running without these tools and having
 > remove the intake boot another million times to adjust the dist? It's
one the
 > right way . the hall sender plug on the left side, the plugs in the
right
 > positions.

Pull the upper timing belt cover, rotate the engine until the cam pulley
mark lines up with the mark on the valve cover.
Verify that the crank pulley is at it's TDC mark, which is up, there is
an arrow on the lower timing belt cover.
Then look in the timing hole, the flywheel should now be at 0, rotate the
crank so that the 6 deg notch lines up with the pointer.

Install the distributor so that the rotor points to mark, which is for
cyl.1.
Install the cap, intake boot, and crank it up...

This is how I replace distributors, except that I set it to TDC with the
rotor at 1...
I hit it with the timing belt, just to check it, but it is usually dead
on.

Peter - http://thescirocco.com -Techtonics, Autotech-Quaife USA,
Magnecor, & Peloquin, Discount Dealer -  Bear, DE

'79 Scirocco 16V "Retro"
'83 GTI "Caged Rabbit"
'84.5 Scirocco "Oddball"
'84 GTI
SciRollers: '79 White Champagne Edition, '84 Black, '88 Red