[Tech] Distributor ...2

I don't have a timing light ... I suppose I should, but now everythings out
and the new one in ... what's the best way to get it to run halfway decent
till I can't hit up someone with a timing light?

--------------------------

I know ... rehash for the millionth time.

Took the old one out, swapped in the new one directly in same position. Car
ran crappy.

Followed book and turned wheel so that mark in transmission is aligned with
that in housing, then adjusted distributor so arm pointed to marking in
distributor housing. No start, grey clouds come out of rubber intake boot ..
unburnt stuff I guess.

Now, I turn wheel back so that markings in transmission lign up .. and the
arm in the distributor is pointing the opposite way (before it pointed at
the marking) - is this possible (duh, yes I can see it is ... but why dit it
get thrown off by 180)? Does that mean it's corretly in place and I just
need to turn the distributor 180 so that the markings lign up?

TIA
Tobias