RE: abandoned car-how to title?

This depends very much on the state you're in.  In Indiana, the DMV is
*completely* useless for something like this.  I bought a Karmann Ghia from
a guy who didn't have the title at his house, but he promised he would send
it the following Monday.  He didn't send it; I sent a registered letter with
return receipt, and the guy had moved.  The USPS delivered the letter to the
new owner/tenant of the house, and not the Ghia's PO.  What good is that?

Anyway, the license branch told me to call the state police, who told me
they couldn't help me, and that I should just not buy a car unless the title
is with it at the time of sale.

In my experience, if you live in Indiana, the license branch will answer
"yes" or "no," but they will never say anything like "no, but you can do
this instead."

I know of a guy who was able to get a title.  I think he went to the county
clerk's office, and he paid a small fee and had to appear in court, which is
the PO's opportunity to contest it or something like that.  IOW, if the PO
doesn't show, you get the title.  If they do show for some reason, you might
get to kick their ass for trying to screw you.

Aaron
'87 528e
'82 Scirocco
'70 Beetle