abandoned car-how to title?

Hi Andrew,

How to get a title for an abandonded car varries from state to state. I have
done it in PA but it took over 6 months and $200 to complete.

In PA you can apply for a salvage non-registerable title for any car you can
get your hands on. All you have to do is advertise in the newspaper that you
have it and prove that there are no claims to it. Provide lots of paperwork
when you submit this along with a special PennDOT form and you will then get
a title in the mail that says real big "non-registerable salvage title" in a
bazillion weeks later.

Once you have this title, you can then turn this into a reconstructed and
registerable title by getting it inspected by local inspection station and
have them fill out a special little form. Then take 4 pictures of it, one of
each side, and send it off for your reconstructed and registerable title. Do
note that if you take pictures with a plate on the car at the time it will
be sent back to you because it is not supposed to have plates!

Upon receipt of your reconstructed vehicle title you can then submit for
registration for it, and then once you get registration for it you must then
insure it and get it inspected again.

Back in 1995 or 1996 this is the way it worked for me. Peter
(thescirocco@juno.com) just did something along the same lines and they gave
him a new VIN number. When I did it I was not issued a new VIN number.

If you want to go and get this titled, be prepared for a long wait, the
process may be still going on come spring of 2002! Of course, YMMV and this
is likely to be state specific.

-Marc Getty
marc@getty.net