(ot) more computer help

So i purchased my dell laptop and it has no operating systems on it.

I have a windows 98 startup disk which boots the computer in DOS, when i
have the HP recovery disk in the cd rom and type setup it does not work.  so
i tryed extracting certain files and i can do that but what files do i need
to extract?

It asks me for the path and were i want them to go and what files i want,
so is it possible to extract all of windows 98 so that i then have an
operating system on my dell laptop?

if so then please tell me how.

thanks

Robert piwonka