RE: Why buy Forged Pistons?

I run JE forged pistons in my 323GTX. I do get a little puff of smoke during
cold starts. This is slightly annoying but is really no big deal at all. The
pistons do also make a little racket until they are warmed up at least one
minute. However, I have alleviated that noise by coating the skirts with a
dry lubricant from Swain Technologies <www.swaintech.com>.

This reduces the noise from piston slap and also lessens any scuffing in the
cylinder bore. I also had the tops of the pistons coated with Swain's "Gold
Coat" heat barrier treatment. Given the decreased friction on the skirts and
less heat in the pistons, I was able to run a slightly tighter tolerance.

Still, the main point of forged pistons is to be able to run huge cylinder
pressures. If you're going with nitrous, forced aspiration, or just huge
compression, it is a very good idea -essential, in fact. Huge rpms call for
a stronger piston, too, but you'll also have to use stronger rods,
valvetrain components, fasteners, etc. If none of the above conditions
apply, then go with cast and just call it a day.

YMMV...

P.S. Forged pistons with a high silicon content expand less than those with
a low silicon content. The high silicon content pistons are more brittle,
however, so it is somewhat of a compromise between the tougher forged and
the stock cast stuff. JE makes low silicon pistons.
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut

Check out our rally team's website!