Re: Why buy Forged Pistons?

On Tue, 14 Aug 2001 20:45:47 -0700 "Wing Gee" <winggee@hotmail.com>
writes:
>forged piston just has a higher tolerance to knocking than cast..
>probably
>stands up to more heat. if you have a perfectly tuned motor, i think
>stock
>pistons would work just as well to a certain degree... as for me.. i
>want
>mad power... :-) like 250-300 at the wheel :-) i figure since my motor
>is
>apart. i might as well. at least that's what i think. someone feel
>free to
>correct me as i may be wrong..
>
>Wing

I could go on for days on this subject but I wont. You all can thank me
by sending cash. That will be fine. :)

The short version is this:
Forged pistons offer lighter weight which is better for high rpm's.
They're a little stronger than cast (alignment of atoms on the production
process... oops, too much details.. sorry!) which means they will
tolerate high heat a little better as well.

The downside is you will see a definite consumption of oil since they
require a much larger clearance to accommodate the clearance
requirements. Another downside is the clatter diesel sound it makes when
its cold or when its idling for a long time. Some of the newer pistons
claim that they have a new alloy that fixes this oil consumption problem
and clatter. I have no experience or data to prove this claim.

That's about it.

Shawn Méze
86' Jetta GLi 8V       84' Scirocco 8V           88' Corvette -SS 30-
82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 54-     79' "Project FSP Scirocco"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco in all of San
Diego!