Re: bad cv joint symptoms

On Wed, 15 Aug 2001 03:04:07 +0800 "doug czajka" <scirocco16v@europe.com>
writes:
> list,
>
>     Could a bad outer CV joint cause the following thing:  The car
> give a quick pull to the left (the side with the assumed bad joint)
> right after changing gears.  It also pulls to this side when
> braking.  The cars is also having some other bad driveability issues
> that i think all relate to the same problem.
>
> The boot over the joint is ripped into two pieces and has probably
> been this way awhile, so i assume the joint is bad.  I was just
> wondering if it could be causing the problems described above.
>
> Oh, the car isn't my scirocco, but my girlfriend's 86 jetta.
>
> Thanks for the help
>
> Doug C.
> 88' 16v
> Raleigh, NC

If the joints are binding real bad, I guess a bad CV could make it pull
to one side...

I'd make sure that the stock limited slip brass rings are intact.
They are located behind each inner CV flange, and are under spring
tension, maybe one side isn't working properly... I just got done
installing seals on a 2H, one of the shims was cracked, and the 2 pieces
just fell out, once I pulled the CV flange.

The same exact thing happened when I replaced the flange seals on my '88
16V/2Y, so it must be pretty common.

If you are going to have the axles off, it won't be that much more work
to check the shims, and replace the CV flange seals while you are at
it...

HTH!

Peter - http://thescirocco.com - Techtonics Discount Dealer -  Bear,
Delaware 19701
                                               '79 Scirocco 16V "Retro"

'83 GTI "Caged Rabbit"
'84.5 Scirocco "Oddball"
'84 GTI
SciRollers: '79 White Champagne Edition, '84 Black, '88 Red