From: owner-scirocco-l@scirocco.org
[mailto:owner-scirocco-l@scirocco.org]On Behalf Of Neal Tovsen
Sent: Monday, August 13, 2001 14:13
To: Scirocco-L
Subject: Strut bearings...toast? (Macon, GA SUCKS!)

Well, on the way home from Brian's house the other day, I managed to find a
2", un-ramped pavement join at 60mph on the 475 bypass around Macon, GA.

All 4 OZ wheels: bent
Windshield: was slightly cracked...now REALLY cracked
Other damage...? (still finding stuff)

Needless to say, I'm not happy. What really irritates me is that the
northbound lanes on the way there were really nicely ramped, even in the
construction zone, giving me a false sense of security on my way home. The
only redeeming factor is that the tires held together and got me home. Those
Yokohamas are seriously tough. The alignment seems mostly OK, the normal
stress cracks in the strut towers aren't any worse (thanks to the Autotech
tower bar with the full ring!), the ball-joints are good, and the shocks
still feel OK. However, what was once a loud car on the highway became
hell-on-square-wheels for the remaining 6 hours of my trip. I put my old
teardrops on when I got home.

Anyway, I do have a question:
The passenger-side strut (bearing?) has slop in it. With the car jacked-up,
I can lift the strut up-and-down a little bit in the bearing. You can see
the nut move in the bearing, as though it's loose. I thought the nut might
have been loose, but my impact wrench was unable to make it any tighter, and
the threads on the strut seem OK. Is my strut bearing blown? Or did I screw
up my Konis somehow too? Please tell me it is only the bearing!

Neal