Re: [mk2] frickin' auto trans

Foxx, there are a number of bolts that hold the flex plate to the torque
convertor that you have to reomve before you can separate the two.  I
think you access them from beneath (it's been a while.)  Have a helper
tuen the engine over slowly while you watch - you'll see the bolts in
question - I believe there are three of them.

HTH,

Drew

On Mon, 13 Aug 2001, Foxx (in a box) wrote:

>   well i finally got the whole thing out today. dropped the engine and
> picked the car up from around it. what a mess. anyway, i tried breaking
> it down into smaller parts (i'm not THAT strong), but didn't have any
> luck separating the trans from the engine. i removed what appeared to be
> all the bolts one the outside holding the two piece together, but no
> luck. something tells me it has to do with the torque convertor. i'm not
> there right now (had to remove 4 lbs. of grease, dirt, etc. with a
> shower) and unfortnately my bentley's with the car. i'm not sure when
> i'll get out there again, but would any info on getting these two pieces
> apart, other than dynamite.
>   how interchangeable are the auto trans in vw's? are all the autos the
> same or are there different gearings, like the manual trans? just
> curious.
>
> --
>  /\_/\	  Foxx (in a box)
> < o o >	  http://foxx.tripod.com
>   \ /
>    °

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca