Re: Need help w/ out of town car purchase!

Nope, didn't have to replace the alternator, coil pack
or starter.  I did have to replace the hood release
cable and the aux coolant pump tho.

That was one of the reasons I sold the car, I knew I
was on borrowed time with the starter and alternator
and combined those repairs would've been over $1000...

-josh

--- Kevin Collins <kcollins1@socal.rr.com> wrote:
> josh Wyte wrote:
>
> > Engine head gasket, air pump, timing chain, timing
> > chain guides and tensioner, tranny bearings (all
> of
> > them), knock sensor, oxygen sensor, door handle
> > ($125!), master cylinder and other misc stuff.
> This
> > totalled about $4000.
>
> What, no alternator replacement?  Or did you forget
> to list it??  <g>  If not
> you were lucky!
>
> From being on the GTI VR6 list for several years,
> I'd say your experience was
> fairly typical.  Lots of stuff cheeses out on the
> VR6 cars once you pass
> about 60k.. coil packs are another costly item that
> ALWAYS fails.  At least
> the Potterman is there for OEM parts at
> much-better-than-stealership prices.
>
> --