Re: Need help w/ out of town car purchase!

An SLC as a daily driver?  Man, I hope you have a
thick wallet!  I owned one of those as my daily driver
for about a year.  It was impeccably maintained by
it's original owner, who is a friend of mine.  I
bought it with 62k miles on it.  In the span of the
27k miles I drove it I had to replace:

Engine head gasket, air pump, timing chain, timing
chain guides and tensioner, tranny bearings (all of
them), knock sensor, oxygen sensor, door handle
($125!), master cylinder and other misc stuff.  This
totalled about $4000.

Working on this car is a nightmare!  There are lots of
corrado specific parts that are near impossible to
find used and the dealer charges obscene amounts for
them.  The door handles for example.  One for a Golf
costs $12, the corrado $125.  Not alot of space to
work with in the bay, they're all getting old and in
need of serious attention.

I'd be really careful, make sure you have tons of cash
around to repair it.  I thought I'd bought an
excellent example (in fact it was in comparison to
others) and it still nearly bankrupt me.

-josh

--- Josh Hignight <Josh.Hignight@phoenix.edu> wrote:
> Listers, I need help!! I'm looking for an SLC as a
> daily driver. There are
> two that I'm interested in so far. On is in the
> Phoenix, AZ area, the other
> in Parker, CO. If you live near or in either of
> these towns, please contact
> me off list if you would be willing to go and
> "inspect"  one of these cars
> for me.  I live in ABQ and can't go at random to
> look at a car.
> BTW, if anyone around the SW knows of a nice SLC for
> less than 10K within a
> reasonable distance (not Cali or Nevada, but like
> AZ, CO, NM, and western
> TX), please let me know.
>
> Thanks!
>

> Joshua Hignight