Re: 4k transmission...

--- Josh Hignight <Josh.Hignight@phoenix.edu> wrote:
> Alright, looking at my scirocco (now turned project) on
> the lift Saturday, I
> noticed the trans. code is 4K. Looking it up on org, it
> says it's got a 3.89
> final, but I'd heard they were 3.94...

There has been lots of debate on this subject, I don't know
if we've ever really settled it.  (Noooo let's not go THERE
again!  LOL)

  And there are no
> notes about the
> application of the trans.
> Well anyway, I bought this trans from a JY, and it was
> supposedly out of a
> base 88 jetta ( I wanted tall gears for mileage at the
> time).

Well the 4k is anything but tall geared.  It'll give you
really nice acceleration, but will be pretty buzzy on the
highway.  I now have a 4k tranny in my 16v, combined with a
.80 5th gear, which I'm very happy with.  Many have opted
for the .75 with this transmission but I didn't want a huge
hole between 4th & 5th.

> So is this an 8v or 16v trans, and what the heck did it
> come out of?

Factory installed on '84 GTI, '84 Scirocco...   not sure
what else if anything.

> One more thing, I'm now missing the throttle cable
> bracket that mounts to
> the TB for the 16v scirocco. Anyone got an extra they're
> willing to part
> with? 3 month backorder from DE ain't gonna work for me.

Didja try da Potterman yet?

=====
Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
8 VWs & counting.
"I do have a cause though...  it is obscenity.  I'm for it" - Tom Lehrer.