RE: engine decision's... I have made up my mind.

Well, you're headed in the right direction, Neal. Again, though, the back
pressure is really a function of something else. It doesn't keep the exhaust
valves from harm. However, some back pressure always exists when the exhaust
pipe is long enough to keep cold oxygen-containing atmosphere from hitting
the valves.

Simply put, back pressure exists when an exhaust is designed for the real
world. That means it: a) makes power across a broad rpm range, b) keeps the
cold air away from the valves, c) is tuned with enough tubing of the correct
proportions and configuration to promote the right kind of scavenging, port
velocity, and acoustic cylinder filling.

With all this quasi-scientific pontificating, I'd better not learn that
*I'm* talking out of *my* arse! :^)

> Very interesting. If I interpret this correctly, and combine it
> with Scott's
> most recent explanation, backpressure isn't actually involved in the burnt
> valve problem except that it is one way of solving the
Scott F. Williams
Account Manager
GENUiTY - Eastern Region
100 Wall Street, 10th Floor